Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In Defense of "Sweatshops" reply

I feel that for this next post it is important for me to talk about my feeling towards my last post. I read an article whose position is in the defense of sweatshops. There were some interesting points that the writer made but I also feel that it’s a wrong stance. The writer is saying that sweatshops are good for third world economies and that the workers are making more than the average. The writer also explains that sweatshops are better than the alternatives that are offered to them. I have a different take on it. I feel that if we promote the acceptance of sweatshops then we’re promoting a trend to potentially take place in the U.S. Sweatshops is a way for the big businesses to get richer and abuse the use of globalizing. No one whether it is inside or outside the U.S. deserves to be treated inhumane. In an earlier posting of mines called “Hidden Faces of Globalization,” you see the treatment of Bangladesh workers and what companies want to keep away from the consumer. Their working conditions were horrific and I would never want to work in such manner. Why would anyone in their right mind believe that this is ok? Yes businesses want to make a profit but not at the expense of lives. Sweatshops take away people’s lives by keeping them in poverty. Even though some sweatshop workers are making more than the national average businesses are still keeping their workers in poverty. Sweatshops are not building the economy its taking away from their freedom. The globalization of companies also hurts U.S. citizens because we’re taking away employment opportunities. I think if we’re going to help another countries economy we need to help ours first. I bet conditions for sweatshop workers would be a lot different if it were here in the U.S. The reason companies globalize is so they can get away with low pay and unfair treatment.

No comments: